Saturday, July 31, 2010

A mother's voice

My Grandma had the sweetest personality before she ever became a mother or grandma from everything I’ve heard. I grew up knowing her as literally the kindest person in the world to me. She thought everything I did was fantastic & never raised her voice or even used a firm tone of voice with me.
All daughters know that tone of voice that comes with our full first, middle & last name. By the age of around 12 we daughters have all learned to echo that frustrated tone when our moms don’t “get it.” Something like “Mooooom!”
So you can imagine my shock at the age of 13 as my Great Grandma had lived with my Grandparents for awhile & I heard that tone in my Grandma’s voice toward my Great Grandma “Moootherrrr!” I suddenly felt justified & said to myself, “Ha! See! Even Grandma gets pissed at her mom!” I even heard my mom in that tone with Grandma when she thought Grandma was spoiling us.
Years later, as my Great Grandma’s health began to fail, I heard another tone in my Grandma’s voice I had never heard. When Great Grandma didn’t hear or wake up right away I heard my Grandma get close and quietly whisper pleadingly “Mama, mama please wake up!” It broke my heart. I never thought of my Grandma as a daughter who needs her mom until then.
I realized that for all our fighting & stress, my mom is the one who cared for me when I was sick, when I had my wisdom teeth out, & when I had my knee surgery & I probably used that tone well into my twenties. Last week, I heard that tone in my mom’s voice as my Grandma was slipping away. Please appreciate your mothers while you have them.

No comments: